PhD Position (m/f/d) Protein based 2D materials for cell interaction
|Beginn der Ausschreibung||17.06.2020|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||15.07.2020|
|Institut bzw. Bereich||Institut für Biomaterialforschung|
|Jetzt bewerben||Zum Bewerberportal|
The Institute for Biomaterial Science of the HZG performs highly interdisciplinary research connecting the fields of material science, biology and medicine. For a project at the forefront of material physics, interfacial phenomena, and cell biology, we are looking for a highly motivated PhD student (m/w/d) - starting as soon as possible for three years. The project is aiming at preparing and understanding protein-based 2D materials and at adjusting their properties by chemical modification. The goal of the work will be to investigate how tailored and active 2D materials interact with stem cells to open new approaches for cell programming and regenerative medicine.
- preparation of ultrathin polymer and protein films at the air-water interface and on solid substrates
- testing chemical reactions on synthetic polymers and proteins on the milligram scale, characterization of the results using standard techniques such as NMR or Mass Spectroscopy
- studying the kinetics of chemical reactions and phase transformations in ultrathin films
- application of a broad range of characterization tools such as interfacial rheology, IR-spectroscopy, ellipsometry, GIXS, AFM
- preparation of 2D materials on different substrates suitable for cell experiments under clean room conditions
- develop analytical models or computer simulations to predict structure-property relationships of protein based and other soft 2D materials
- Master degree or equivalent in Chemistry, Physics or Biology with emphasis on soft matter, physical chemistry, biophysics, biochemistry or similar
- experience and solid understanding of instrumental methods such as AFM, vibrational spectroscopy, rheology, scattering methods etc.
- ideally some initial experience in material simulations using e.g. finite elements methods, molecular dynamics or continuum methods
- high fluency in English
- high problem solving ability and capability of conducting independent and explorative research
- willingness to quickly fill the knowledge gaps that naturally arise when working in an interdisciplinary field of research
As a PhD student in our institute, you will enroll in the
The graduate school provides you with the opportunity to attend a broad variety of classes, courses and workshops according to your personal requirements, and ensures a close and transparent mentoring by experienced scientists. PhD students are supported at presenting their work at national and international conferences. We further offer flexible working hours and an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector.
The advancement of equality at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht / Helmholtz Graduate School for Macromolecular Bioscience goes without saying; in particular, we are striving to increase the percentage of women in science. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (including CV, a statement of interest and copies of master/diploma/university certificates) indicating job offer