PhD Position in Computer Simulation & Machine Learning
|Beginn der Ausschreibung||09.09.2019|
|Ende der Ausschreibung||08.10.2019|
|Institut||Institut für Werkstoffforschung|
|Online-Bewerbung an||please use web-link below|
The Institute of Materials Research of Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is offering a 3-years PhD position in the area of computer simulations and machine learning. The focus of the PhD project will lie on developing novel machine learning architectures that can be combined with established methods from computational engineering and computer simulation such as the finite element method or discrete element method.
The objective is to extend the range of applicability of these established methods to problems from mechanical engineering and materials research that could not be addressed so far due to their high complexity, which prevents approaches that solely rely on classical mechanistic modeling.
The place of employment is Geesthacht.
- development of novel machine learning architectures that can be combined with methods from computational engineering and computer simulation
- implementation of your machine learning architectures in Python (using Keras / TensorFlow)
- validation of your results in collaboration with colleagues from various application areas
- publication and presentation of your scientific results in international scientific journals and at international conferences and workshops
- master’s degree in computational engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, applied mathematics, physics or similar area
- very good programming skills in Python and ideally also C++
- proven experience in object-oriented code development (coding skills will be checked during the job interview!)
- preferably also background knowledge in computational mechanics and applied mathematics
- prior experience specifically with machine learning is an advantage but not strictly required
- very good English
- opportunity to enroll in a PhD program at Hamburg University of Technology
- multinational work environment with over 950 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure including modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
We are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (including CV, a statement of interest and copies of master/diploma/university certificates) indicating job offer
code no. 2019/WM 6
Please use the following registration link to upload your complete application documents: